Saturday, March 26, 2011

book love

I am a nerd because:
1. i spent the whole day at a book signing for my all time favorite author and book
2. i was number one in the stand-by line
3. i was in line from two to six. then from seven thirty to ten after his lecture for him to sign my book
4. i was more excited to see Markus Zusak come in the room than a new Harry Potter movie come on screen
5. i was alone and went by myself the entire time (which was awesome. i took myself on the best date i have ever been on haha)
6. i passed up the festival of colors with all my friends to go to this
7. i may have cried (i will tell the story and this one will make more sense)
8. my heart is still racing because i am on such a high from talking to him!

so the speech and book signing for Markus Zusak was at the Provo Library today. THIS WAS A HUGE DEAL because he lives in Australia. He got in from Sydney this afternoon and is leaving tomorrow morning. And within that limited window of blessed time he completed charmed me. Mr. Zusak is a New York Times Bestseller for a record amount of weeks and it took a lot of effort to get him here. He is enchanting!

so 500 people had tickets to hear him live in the ballroom and they got tickets weeks ago. i just found out about this event yesterday when good fortune smiled upon me. i luckily picked up a Daily Universe, which i rarely do, and they had an article on it. i called the lib and they told me that since i didn't have a ticket i could wait in the stand-by line and see if there are any open seats.

so i go to stand in line and there is one woman ahead of me. but then another woman gave the woman ahead of me a ticket. so she went home and i was now first in line. BOOYAH.

then at five when they were letting all the people with tickets get to their seats, a sweet grandma came up to me and said "look, i have a ticket for you." i was so happy that i gave her a hug. i got a really good seat and was in group F out of A - K for Mr. Zusak to sign my book after. i could not believe my luck!!!!the library decorated the ballroom so cute. the lights with the cards pinned on with clothes pins matched and tied in with one of Mr. Zusak's other book "I am the Messenger". how cute?!
Mr. Zusak was a spectacular speaker. He spoke on what inspired him to write "The Book Thief", how he writes and answered questions.

My favorite part was when he said "You know you are a writer when you can answer yes to this question: 'if you knew your story would never get published, would you still write it?' and for me it is yes. Getting published doesn't make you an author, saying yes to that question does."
it was just so wonderful to sit and listen to a lecture on your all time favorite book and all its themes, learn the background and facts i could have never known if i hadn't have gone ALL FROM THE SOURCE HIMSELF. this was the first author i have ever met or heard speak.


then i waited in line for him to sign my copy of "The Book Thief". while i waited i made friends with two super nice moms who teach English and are having their classes read "The Book Thief" right now. we just sat and talked about why we loved the book so much, one of my favorite things to do- talk about books. then finally at ten pm i made it to the table! i got nervous and didn't know what to say. what do you say to the author of your favorite book that changed your life? its kind of a big deal.

he said hello and all of the sudden i got shy. but then i just said (i think, it was all a blur) "this is my favorite book. i just love it. thank you for writing this. i was really moved" then the woman next to him said, "i remember this girl. she was first in line for standby. she sat on the hard tiled floor since 2 pm to see you."

Mr. Zusak said in his perfect accent "Did you really? thank you. that means a lot. here i have something for you."i just answerd "well, your book really means a lot to me. i just had to come" next thing i know he is pulling out a copy of one of his new books out from his briefcase. It is an Australian copy, something you can't buy in America.

In "The Book Thief" he signed 'To Amy, thank you. here is to love, colours (note the spelling) and books." which makes sense if you have read the book. and the new book he gave me he wrote "To Amy. 2 pm Congratulations" That is when i started to tear up. then we talked for a bit more but i don't remember it all because i was just so excited. then a bunch of people came up to me afterward and wanted to see the book he gave me and ask me what he said. i couldn't stop smiling!

then since it was raining the nice moms that i made friends with gave me a ride home. so many little miracles made this amazing day happen for me. i am just so happy and grateful, i am just so lucky

Mr. Zusak signing my book. my favorite man on earth.

4 comments:

  1. Amy you are so cute! I am so happy that you got to have this awesome experience, and that everything went your way if only for one day. I have read I am The Messenger, and of course I loved it, but i haven't read the Book Thief yet..despite everyone I know recommending it to me. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did he say anything about "Bridge of Clay" ????

    ReplyDelete
  3. He never mentioned a book by that name but if that is his next book coming out, he mentioned it once or twice in passing. just how he is still fiddling with some things, getting things how he wants. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy!

    This is Courtney at the Library, and I just wanted to say a big THANK YOU for your post! It means so much to hear that you enjoyed the event, and I will pass the link on to Markus and his publicist! You're a doll, and though it's still a bit of a secret, keep your eyes peeled for a second visit from Mr. Zusak to the Library. . . because he wants to return around the time "Bridge of Clay" is released! Keep fingers crossed!

    All the best,
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete